Coach Bruce has an extensive background in the sport of wrestling. After graduating high school in Indiana as a 2-time high school state placer, he began his college wrestling career a Purdue university. After a short stint at Purdue, he transferred to Liberty University and his career quickly blossomed. While at Liberty, Bruce became captain of the team for both his Junior and Senior seasons. After graduating with his Bachelor of Science degree, Bruce began his coaching career at VMI. While at VMI, Bruce was promoted from assistant coach to head assistant coach and finally associate head coach. During his 11 year tenure at VMI, the Keydets arguably enjoyed the greatest success of their rich and storied history.
After retiring from coaching as a full time profession in 2006, Coach Bruce founded "Team Hammer" (local youth wrestling club) and has been actively engaged in the promotion and coaching of the sport of wrestling in Rockbridge County ever since.
- Two time NCAA Division I national qualifier (1992; 1994); ranked 9th in the nation (’94) 12th (’93)
- Midlands place winner (1993)
- Competed on international teams that competed in multiple European countries (Freestyle) Bohemian National Champion (Freestyle), Prague, Czech Republic (1992)
NCAA Coaching Accomplishments
- 11 years NCAA Div 1 coaching experience (3 yrs. as an assistant, 5 yrs. as head assistant, 3 yrs. as associate head coach)
- USA Wrestling Bronze Certified Coach
- 23 individual Southern Conference champions
- 3 Southern Conference team titles
- 1 NCAA Div I All-American
- 5 individuals with over 100 career wins
- 7 individual top-12 finishes at NCAA Div I championships
- 1 Virginia Intercollegiate State Championship team title
- 1 All-Academy championships team title
- 1996 team received votes to be in top-25 NCAAA Div I team rankings